Thursday, August 6, 2020

Candle Jars and accessories introduction,Sunny Glassware trade show replay

How did Sunny Glassware help small customers growing up

With Sunny Glassware strong support, customers rapidly develop and from small workshop to industry leaders.

hen I first received the email from Josiah , it was about three months ago, he was looking for a white glass candle jar need to match with the wooden lid, because I happened to have some candle jars in different sizes pursuant to his requirements, so I sent him a list of detailed size and told him that each product can hold how much wax so that he can choose the suitable ones for his product line, once received the listing of these glass candles he loved all of them and hope I can send a sample to him, together with the lid made by different materials, within three days I arranged the samples, and there are also some wooden, metal, glass, ceramic and plastic covers.
China Glass Candle Jars Supplier
Finally he chose to take the silicone ring primary pine lid and sprayed white glass candle holders, I'm so happy to prepare order for him to confirm details, he told me that the candle business is he only developed new areas recently, because his team not so familiar with the market for now , and worrying about the problem such as sales, he cannot purchase 2000pcs at one time, so he asked if I could start to promote order 300 as sales samples, I was really a little embarrassed when I just heard the news, because the minimum quantity of an order for the regular glass candlestick is usually 2000pcs, spray color is 1000pcs each, so I have to recommend a very similar item which we have the inventory of the glass jar, he confirmed that can accept the existed glass vessel, but spray processing also can not meet the minimum quantity, as the customer keenly want to start the candles of his career, taking the "as long as the customer need us, we will do our best to help them" as our theme, after our team’s discussed, finally we decided to open a manual spray color processing line, dedicated to help the guest on 300pcs white candle cup spraying, and we have our own specialized logistics department, giving the customers a very professional rapid transport routes, is expected at the end of the customers can get the goods quickly.
China Glass Candle Jars Supplier
I got a message from Josiah, saying that he was very grateful to our team since we paid so much attention to every customers. Looking forward to the early arrival of the goods, we also believe that every customers who engaged in candles industry sincerely, with we Sunny Glassware supporting, will grow up soon, because we live with our customers together!

Sunny Glassware Joanna
  Joanna Wen

   +86 755 25643426
   sales2@sunnyglassware.com
   sunnyglassware23

Sunny Glassware Joanna

Saturday, August 1, 2020

Sunny Glassware support customers overcome the diffcult

I have an old customer who has been working with Sunny Glassware for about 3 years. Due to the epidemic, there is a huge problem with the customer’s funds. When the goods were about to arrive at the port, the customer said that he could not pay us the balance payment of the goods and hoped our company can help him at this time, release the goods after owing part of the credit. He promised he will pay the overdue one month later after receiving the goods. I was very hesitating when I heard it, because the credit owed way is not the terms between our cooperation. Moreover, once the owed part cannot be paid on time, it will cause huge losses to our company. But the customer is indeed facing practical difficulties.My boss and I have considered many things, and finally we decided to help our customers get through this difficulty together. We let the customer pay 70% of the remaining balance, and the remaining 30% can be paid in a month. This amount is within the range that the customer can currently take out.
Sunny Glassware with Customers
Under our special policy, the customer got the goods, and one month later, the customer paid half of the balance, and the remaining half was working hard to repay us.
Although this order does not make profit, but Sunny is always standing with customers. We are anxious about customers' needs and thinking about what customers want. We provide high-quality products and services. When customers have difficulties, we also Helping customers as much as possible. I believe that only through mutual help can we achieve each other and grow together.

Sunny Glassware Cindy
  Cindy Qian
  
   +86 755 25643426
   sales3@sunnyglassware.com
   sunnyglassware3

Sunny Glassware Cindy

Curve whiskey glass sets wholesale from Sunny Glassware